Sunday, January 25, 2009

Continuing the journey of the senses....


I have to admit that today I am a bit bewildered about what I would really like to talk about, so I thought, for now, I would continue our little stroll through the 5 senses. I've picked smell to be the next sense to discuss because ,in my opinion, it is the next most important one. For myself, there is nothing like the wafted scent of something to be a quick trigger of some long, forgotten memory. Whether it be from the lemony-oiled smell of my grandmother's kitchen(which inspires warmth and longing in me), to the hearty scent of cooking stew(which reminds me of the bountiful meals my grandfather used to make). There have even been studies that prove how strong the link between our sense of smell and our memories are. As human beings we are able to distinguish over 10,000 different smells(some of my personal favorites being freshly brewed coffee, the smell of new books, a freshly opened box of crayons, and the earthy, freshness of rain on a hot day)and our smell sense is actually responsible for about 80% of what we are able to taste. Without smell, we'd be limited to about 5 distinct flavors...so we really do need our sense of smell in order to be able to "taste" all that life has to offer! It is really very interesting to find how important our sense of smell is at creating a certain quality of life and memory, that would be sadly lacking the lustre and embodiment of well-being, without it.

No comments: